Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of enhancing your website to attract new visitors from search engines.
Most people use search engines to find answers to questions they have or to gather information to help them solve a problem. Ideally, search engines lead people to the most useful and trustworthy information out there. As a business, you want to rank well in the search engine result pages (SERPs) or people will have a hard time finding you.
When optimizing your website, the goal is to rank in the top ten on a list that a search engine will generate because those are the results that get the most clicks.
So how do we make that happen? Here are three keys points to keep in mind when you implement SEO.
1. Find Relevant Keywords
The first step is to find a list of keywords that are relevant to your business so desired visitors are directed to your website. A keyword is a topic that searchers are trying to learn more about.
Try to think like a potential customer. What are their goals? What kind of information might they be searching for? Furthermore, what kind of language would they use when searching for information that your website provides? A great tip to help expand your keyword list is doing a Google search yourself to find alternative words or phrases that are popular in whatever your topic may be.
2. Identify Long-Tail Keywords
Long-tail keywords are strings of related words, or a phrase, that gives more specificity to the desired result. The goal is to find long-tail keywords that are often searched for but don’t populate as many results, so there is less competition. This will improve your chances of ranking higher on the list a search engine provides.
Once you have a list of keywords, here is how to use them:
- Make sure you create content around your most effective keywords, using them in natural language throughout the page.
- It’s a good idea to include your keywords in the page title because it shows both on the browser tab for the page and the link to the page in search results.
- You should also add your primary keyword to the URL, using dashes to separate words for long-tail keywords.
- If using images, make sure you include the keywords to the alt-text so the search engine can find that also.
- Using keywords in the meta description can improve the number of clicks to your page.
- Be sure to promote your content on your social media profiles like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and any other profiles you may have. Also include social sharing buttons so visitors can help you promote by sharing articles themselves.
3. Use Links, Be User-Friendly, And Mobilize
Other ways to implement SEO include linking to relevant outside sources in order to enhance the credibility of your site, making sure your website is user-friendly and easy to browse, and optimizing your website for mobile.
Following these strategies should help improve your rank in the SERPs and increase ideal visitors to your website.